This week has seen a surfeit of exhibitions for me - and yet more problems for me with my joints! I really shouldn't spend so much time standing looking at art in art exhibitions - as it now means I can't move the next day! Hence the delay.....
|The Derwent Art Prize - selected works|
The 3rd Derwent Art Prize Exhibition 2016
The exhibition finishes today at the Mall Galleries. Frankly 6 days is not enough for this exhibition. However you can see the art online and it will get another outing - and I'll let you know where when I know (keep an eye on my Making A Mark Facebook Page!)
The exhibition will tour to a number of venues throughout the UK from October - December 2016. Full details will be announced shortly.
- First some gallery view images of the exhibition
- then a summary of what was good and where there is scope to improve
- finally, some images of the 8 drawings I liked by 6 artists. I also liked others - but these have all got an extra something...
I've already commented on the prizewinners in Derwent Art Prize 2016 - Prizewinners
There are two absolute truisms about drawings when seen online:
- they do look different when seen in the gallery - you can't ever beat the face up cloe to the work to get a really good sense of what a work is about and how it has been made.
- you can never ever get a proper sense of the relative size of different artwork - unless it is seen in context
That's why it's essential to go to exhibitions and not just look online - even if you end up crocked afterwards (as I do!)